The Director of Engineering will oversee product engineering operations for both mechanical and electrical engineering departments. This role will be responsible in ensuring that the engineering procedures and practices are executed correctly in all efforts, while maintaining the highest quality standards in the power engineering industry through retaining and attracting top engineering talent.
- Plans and coordinates the work of engineering staff.
- Oversees engineering staff and ensures that they meet goals and objectives.
- Recruits additional engineering staff as needed.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Provides training and mentoring as needed
- Develops succession plan for key engineering roles
Fontana, California USA
- Consults with General Manager and Vice President to create long-range operating and manufacturing goals specific to the needs of the organization.
- Leads and coordinates various electrical engineering functions and operations; including specification reviews, drawing reviews, testing, and research and development of new and existing product lines.
- Develops new products from concept to testing to production.
- Collaborates with marketing department to determine market potential for new products.
- Oversees progress and timeliness of projects.
- Reviews project reports to ensure projects are on schedule and within budget.
- Regularly interacts with clients and serves as an expert on engineering design
- Performs other related duties as required
- Leads and coordinates various electrical engineering functions and operations; including quality assurance, testing, production, and research and development of new and existing product lines.
- Facilitates communication among clients/customers and electrical engineers, ensuring specifications, budgets, and deadlines are clearly communicated and understood.
- Serves as an overarching project manager for multiple projects, creating timelines and cost projections, organizing collaborative meetings, and ensuring projects comply with specifications, timelines, and budgets.
- Reviews work and projects for technical accuracy.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains administrative policies, procedures, and standards.
- Prepares and executes departmental budget.
- Maintains knowledge of new trends, developments, technologies, materials, and best practices; applies this knowledge to continually improve product lines and production efficiency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with customers and foster strong relationships
- Electrical Engineering Skill:
- General understanding of Relay Protection Design for the Utility / Power Industry:
- General understanding of 3-Phase Systems including LV Transformers, Panelboards, Transfer Switches, Etc.
- Exposure in 5kV-38kV Switchgear Single lines, Three Lines, and Schematics.
- General understanding DC Systems including Batteries, Chargers, and Disconnect Switches.
- Experience in functional Testing of Relay Panels and MV Switchgear
- Mechanical Engineering Skills:
- Ability to review and provide feedback of Mechanical Designs at a high level.
- Basic understanding Structural Steel and Sheet Metal Design
- Basic understanding of HVAC designs and functionality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent managerial and supervisory skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated skill in working effectively & collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated skill in conflict management
- Extensive technical knowledge of engineering and product development.
- Excellent financial skills and ability to analyze financial data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills with an emphasis on performance management & succession planning
- Proficient with computer-aided drafting (CAD) software
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical and / or Mechanical Engineering required; Master’s degree in Engineering or Business Administration preferred.
- At least ten years of experience working in the Power Industry
- At least five years of related technical expertise at a Director level
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift to 15 pounds at times.
- Ability to traverse manufacturing facility.
Working At Crown Technical Systems
Crown Technical Systems is a rapidly expanding company in the ever growing electrical power industry.
Our main facility is located in Fontana, CA; we have a branch office in Toronto Canada with plans for a second facility in Texas. We are a leader in the design and manufacturing of arc-resistant and non-arc, medium voltage metal clad switchgear, control buildings and enclosures, protective relay panels and more. We are looking for experienced and dedicated individuals with the desire to take on new challenges, assist in developing our product lines and grow with our company in our Fontana, CA facility. We are offering stability, growth potential, competitive wages, and the chance to be a part of exciting new and cutting edge projects that adds to the power infrastructure of America with concurrent benefit to communities across the country.
- Variety of Medical Plans
- Comprehensive Dental Plans
- Pre-tax Plan Premiums
- Competitive Salary
- Life Insurance Plans
- 401k Plan
- 401k Rollover
- Direct Deposit
- 7 Paid Holidays Annually
- Paid Time Off
- Positive Working Atmosphere
- Additional benefits based on eligibility criteria.
Apply for this position
A Day At Crown Technical Systems
Watch an overview of our top-class facilities