The Estimating Manager is responsible for driving strategy and leadership support throughout the bid process by evaluating the best bid opportunities, improve upon estimating processes, collaborating with internal teams, and growing talent within the department.
Fontana, California USA
- Hires and trains the estimating department staff.
- Oversees the workflow and schedules of the department.
- Promotes collaboration between estimating staff, business development, and engineering teams.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Read and interpret documents to understand customer requirements, determine scope of work, and assess the company’s ability to bid the project.
- Provide oversight, review, and evaluation of multiple estimates and proposals at various stages of completion.
- Engage with customers to suggest and implement technical solutions to fit customer’s needs.
- Perform final review of proposals to confirm accuracy, completeness, and value add options.
- Review proposals from a holistic view-point to ensure customer confidence and competitiveness within market segment.
- Promote creative ideas within department to position Crown’s proposal to be high accurate and attractive to the end customer.
- Host weekly bid meetings to gather status of open estimates and updates for each project in the pipeline
- Assess operational issues in relation to competitiveness and staying current in terms of trends, innovations and pricing while staying up to date with external and internal developments in the environment; makes recommendations to address findings.
- Monitor internal business operations progress in relation to various metrics (example: estimated costs vs. actual costs, scope deficiencies, etc.); conduct KPI analysis to understand what the performance indicators are showing.
- Research and maintain accurate pricing for internal database in coordination with purchasing department.
- Propose ideas and suggestions for areas of improvement to standardize bid process and reduce overall cycle time.
- Prepare cost proposals for manufacturing projects as needed.
- Peform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical drawings, schematics, and diagrams
- Ability to read and understand Commercial Documents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to make independent judgments
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook) and other related programs (AutoCAD, Solidworks)
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in estimating preferably in the electric utility industry.
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership capacity.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to traverse the production floor as needed.
Working At Crown Technical Systems
Crown Technical Systems is a rapidly expanding company in the ever growing electrical power industry.
Our main facility is located in Fontana, CA; we have a branch office in Toronto Canada as well as our branch in Dallas Texas that opened in 2018. We are a leader in the design and manufacturing of arc-resistant and non-arc, medium voltage metal clad switchgear, control buildings and enclosures, protective relay panels and more. We are looking for experienced and dedicated individuals with the desire to take on new challenges, assist in developing our product lines and grow with our company. We are offering stability, growth potential, competitive wages, and the chance to be a part of exciting new and cutting edge projects that adds to the power infrastructure of America with concurrent benefit to communities across the country.
- Variety of Medical Plans
- Comprehensive Dental Plans
- Pre-tax Plan Premiums
- Competitive Salary
- Life Insurance Plans
- 401k Plan (N/A in Texas)
- 401k Rollover (N/A in Texas)
- Direct Deposit
- 7 Paid Holidays Annually
- Paid Time Off
- Positive Working Atmosphere
- Additional benefits based on eligibility criteria.
Apply for this position
A Day At Crown Technical Systems
Watch an overview of our top-class facilities